, , , ,



Yes, time is running out so make sure you are ready

Your business, family, personal and travel circumstances will be affected by the Brexit transition.

The Withdrawal Agreement set a transition period lasting until 31 December 2020.

The British Embassy in Rome and the British Consulate General Milan are currently holding online meetings across Italy to update British citizens working and living in the country and answering their questions regarding Britain’s departure from the European Union. There are new rules (and requirements) for businesses and UK citizens from 1 January 2021

Changes for businesses and citizens

You need to act NOW if you’re:

* importing goods from the EU * exporting goods to the EU * moving goods to or from Northern Ireland *

travelling to the EU * living and working in the EU * staying in the UK if you’re an EU citizen

GUIDE ON RESIDENCY: Under the Withdrawal Agreement ratified by the European Union and the United Kingdom,

European rules on free movement will continue to apply to UK nationals and their family members through the transitional period until 31 December 2020.

The registration office (anagrafe) at the local town hall (comune) remains the competent authority for registering UK nationals.

Residency   If you are resident in Italy before the transition period ends on 31st December 2020, you will be able to stay.  You must register as an Italian resident (in Italian) if you want to stay in Italy for more than 3 months. You will get one of the following from the local town hall or comune:  an attestazione di iscrizione anagrafica or attestazione di soggiorno permanente (if resident for 5 years or more)

The rules on residency registration remain the same during the transition period.  If you have already registered as a resident and have a residency document, you should obtain the new attestazione from your local comune. This new document will be proof of your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement. Non EU family members should also obtain the new attestazione. For more information about the new attestazione, read the Italian Ministry of Interior’s circular (in Italian). It includes a sample of the new document. You should take this to your local comune when requesting it. You can also read the Italian Association of Town Halls’ ANCI guidance on the registration process (in Italian).

UK nationals already residing in Italy   The anagrafe of your local town hall can issue a new residency document called ‘Attestazione di Iscrizione Anagrafica’ (under Legislative Decree no. 30/2007 and Article 18.4 of the Withdrawal Agreement) to UK nationals already settled in Italy. This new residency document is issued in addition to your other residency document (i.e permanent or temporary residence documents, issued under Legislative Decree No. 30/2007). The new document includes a reference to Art. 18.4 of the Withdrawal Agreement and certifies the rights of UK nationals according to the Withdrawal Agreement. The new residency document, the ‘Attestazione di Iscrizione Anagrafica’ (issued under Article 18.4 of the Withdrawal Agreement) is not a replacement for your permanent or temporary residence document (issued under Legislative Decree no. 30/2007). For this reason, the registration office at the town hall cannot request that you surrender your other residency document to obtain the new one. When issuing the new document the Registration Office can request 0.52 cents as a processing fee as well as the payment of two tax stamps (‘bolli’) of € 16.00, one for the application and one for the document itself, (DPR 642/72, tariff A, art . 5 and circular 54/2007). To issue the new registration document under the Withdrawal Agreement, the registration office is not permitted to ask for evidence from you of meeting criteria as laid out under the Freedom of Movement Directive (art. 9 Legislative Decree 6/2/2007, n. 30) such as evidence of a work contract, income or healthcare cover. The new Withdrawal Agreement registration document can be issued simply following the presentation of an identity document and the verification that you already hold a residency status in Italy (i.e. you are registered with your local comune).

UK nationals not yet resident in Italy   You should go to the registry office of your town hall where you have established your place of residence and present the appropriate application for residency accompanied by the necessary documentation and a valid passport (Article 9 .Lgs. 6/2/2007, n. 30). Check your town hall’s website for more details. Following residency registration, the registration office is then required to issue you in addition with the new Withdrawal Agreement residency document (issued under Legislative Decree no. 30/2007 and Article 18.4 of the Withdrawal Agreement).

Driving in Italy  If you are resident in Italy, exchange your UK licence for an Italian one before 31st December 2020. For information on driving in Italy, read the guidance on: * what you need to drive abroad * driving licence exchange and renewals * contacting an Ufficio Motorizzazione Civile (in Italian) If you are in Italy and your UK driving licence is lost, stolen or expires you will not be able to renew it with the UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). You will need to apply to the DVLA for a ‘certificate of entitlement’ in Italian to be able to apply for an Italian driving licence.

For detailed advice and information consult the key resource for UK nationals including details on:

residency, healthcare and benefits, pensions and driving licences on the Living in Italy page: gov.uk: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-italy UK nationals requiring support with registration can contact the IOM International Organisation for Migration (UK Nationals Support Fund Implementing Organisation in Italy) Contact: Helpline 800 684 884 – Mail to UKnationalsIT@iom.int


My Country magazine – Naples, Italy

December 2020 (pages 4 & 5)